Senior Manager Financial Control
Bol.com opened her shop doors on March 30, 1999. More than 20 years later, the webshop has more than 10 million active customers in the Netherlands and Belgium and a range of more than 16 million products. Bol.com is one of the most popular stores in the Netherlands and Belgium. The store invariably has a position in the top 5 of the most customer-friendly companies in the Netherlands. Bol.com is also in the top 3 of most influential brands on social media. The organization is increasingly transforming into a platform organization.
Growth and ambition
Bol.com is growing fast year after year, especially last year, and it also has the ambition to continue to do so in the upcoming years. In 2020, the company achieved a turnover of €4.3 billion and in 2021 this was €5.5 billion. The company is continuously in transition and this brings exciting challenges. In addition to the purely volume / operational challenge of €5+ billion in turnover, there is also the innovation challenge of a continuously changing business models. In order to steer the organization as effectively as possible and to keep growth manageable in this dynamic environment, a strong financial backbone is essential. The finance department is more and more a leading and steering business partner for all other departments and has large impact on the always changing organisation.
The job profile
Bol.com invests a lot in the financial backbone, which is crucial to make the right decisions and to set the right strategic course. Really understanding the financial figures and the story behind them is key.
In this role as Senior Manager Financial Control, you will be leading the Financial Accounting and Financial Control team of bol.com (15 FTE with two team leads). You report to the Director Accounting, Risk & Compliance and you are an important member of the Management Team of this department. You are a true leader and visionary in the field of Financial Accounting and Financial Control and you are strong in building and improving teams. You provide the organisation with the right and accurate figures and you keep eye on the long term strategy. You and your team are the “storytellers” of the organisation. You make sure there is grip on the processes (of current and new business propositions), grip on the figures and the story behind the figures – that is what your teams stand for. Thanks to your teams, customers and stakeholders can trust and continue to build on the organization.
You have a clear vision on the future of the finance function of bol.com in terms of people, process and technology and you know how to implement this vision. Examples of questions you answer:
- How and with which tools can we further automate the financial operation?
- What do the figures mean and where should adjustments be made?
- What are the implications of new business initiatives?
The ideal candidate
You are an inspiring people manager and you have a strategic vision on the future of financial processes. You enjoy working with your team and other departments and you dare to make choices in the best interest of bol.com. You are a conscious leader who gets people moving in a natural way, you have a sense of humour and you show initiative and entrepreneurship. You ensure that everyone gets the best out of themselves, you keep an overview of all activities and projects and on top of that you are a critical sparring partner in the MT.
You also recognize yourself in the following profile:
- Academic degree in Economics, Accounting & Control or equivalent. Preferably a RA/CPA title or equivalent;
- At least 10 years’ experience and achieved success within financial control and accounting; experience in a fast-growing retail or e-commerce environment;
- Affinity and experience in creating a “modern” finance function in which IT, data and digitization play an important role;
- Experience in designing and optimizing the right management information (storytelling) for maximizing growth, margin and efficiency;
- Experience and affinity with IT (ERP, BI tooling, Excel);
- Excellent communication and presentation skills in English (word and writing). Dutch is preferred.
Heb je interesse?
Wil je meer weten over de functie of het uitgebreide functieprofiel ontvangen neem dan contact op met Sjoerd.